Re: [EM] Strong FBC

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed May 1 18:17:16 PDT 2002

Adam-

I agree with your objections.  I realize that the computer can only go by
the (possibly) insincere input of the users.  However, as Mike phrased his
original post he said that the sincere CW is found when voters have
complete info and act to optimize their outcomes.  Since burying favorite
might optimize your outcome, I wonder what would happen if everybody gave
their sincere info to a program and let it decide if they (as individuals)
would be better off burying the favorite.

I'm thinking of this machine as an abstraction, just as in other fields
people think of a Universal Turing Machine or Carnot Engine or whatever.  I
want to hear what more Mike can provide, since from his brief description
Riker's work might have some bearing on strong FBC.  I share your
skepticism, and I wonder if a more complete understanding of Riker's work
might lead to an impossibility proof, i.e. strong FBC can never be
satisfied.

Alex

----