[EM] Meaning clarification

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon May 20 17:23:28 PDT 2002

In my most recent posting, when I said "win-probability", I meant
win-probability at the time when the ballots have been counted.
Of course at that time, with decisive, nonprobabilistic, methods,
a candidate's win-probability is either 1 or 0. The "win probability"
wording is used so that the criterion can apply to probabilistic
methods, in which a candidate has a certain win probability after
the count, depending on how well s/he did in the count.

So, for nonprobabilistic methods, Regularity would say:

Deleting a candidate from the ballots, and recounting those ballots,
should never cause an undeleted winner to lose.

It's certainly
reasonable that no one's chance of winning should be diminished by
the deletion of another candidate.

Mike Ossipoff