[EM] 05/20/02 - True Majority Winner or Candidate:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Mon May 20 06:08:48 PDT 2002

05/20/02 - True Majority Winner or Candidate:

Greetings list members,

Richard Squabble Moore and Michael Rouse are pretending that the term `True
Majority Winner or Candidate' has not appeared on this list.  The poor boys
are in denial, they don't remember nor can find what they don't want to
remember nor find.
   What makes them think that some of the rest of us will not remember nor
be able to find text bearing the term `True Majority Winner or Candidate'.

Anyone who has been on this list any length of time has seen the term many
times in text supporting Approval Voting and/or Condorcet.  One does not
need to search the entire world of the internet nor the entire EM archives.
One only needs to have been on this list one month ago on 22 April to have
received a letter written by a one Paul Hager.

You Approval people do remember Paul Hager, do you not?  He was your
darling politician, who was going to spearhead the drive for Approval
Voting.  I remember some of you big spenders even donated fifty bucks to
the `Cause'.
  (Only fifty bucks? - Some big spenders)

As a politician, Hager was a fool to promote Approval Voting, he was
putting himself too far removed from his public.  To be an effective
leader, a politician needs to know where the public is at on an issue, and
then the politician must place himself only one or two steps ahead of the
public, but no more.  If so, then he would be viewed as a leader.

It was foolish for you `Big Spenders' to donate money to him, for his
efforts were doomed to failure, but in failure, maybe he learned something
about being a politician.  On the other hand, I don't think you people have
learned anything in your loss of fifty bucks, he should have taken you for
more, but I digress.

Anyway, in Hager's post of 22 April, you will find he uses the term `true
majority winner or candidate' three times.  Once in relation to Approval
Voting, once in relation to Condorcet, and once in relation to IRV.  Hager
seems to regard True Majority Candidate/Winner as some sort of standard to
compare all methods.

I don't know if Hager is still on this list.  If he has learned anything he
should have wised-up and dropped this list, dropped Approval Voting, and
dropped the losers that support Approval Voting or Condorcet.

Anyway, I'm sending Hager a courtesy copy of this post so I can ask him
what the hell he means by `true majority winner or candidate'.  The people
on this list don't seem to know.

Dear Hager,
   I see you use the term `true majority candidate or winner' as a
standard.  We all feel that somewhere in the many votes and choices of any
election there should exist a true majority that should revel to us who
should be the winner.  The question I would like to put to you, is: `How do
you know which candidate is the true majority candidate?'
  I mean, suppose there is an single-seat election in which the voters make
a number of choices each, but no method is defined yet for the election.
How do we know which candidate is the `true majority candidate' so we can
compare our results when we do decide on which method to use?
  This has always puzzled me, how do you know this before you work the math
of some method?
  Please reply.

Regards to all, Donald Davison,

PS, I include a copy of Hager's 4/22/02 letter below for Poor Richard and
Michael who are unable to remember nor find that which they don't want to
remember nor find.