[EM] Poor Richard's Education

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Tue May 14 23:03:51 PDT 2002

Recently (5/13/02) Don Davison wrote:

"For [Richard Moore's] information and education, the words `Condorcet
candidate' or `Condorcet winner' are code words which mean or imply that
Condorcet is the standard for all single-seat election methods including
Condorcet itself.  Whenever anyone uses the code words `Condorcet Winner'
they are attempting to establish Condorcet to this high position as the
standard of all single-seat election methods including Condorcet itself.  I
do not accept Condorcet as the standard, but of more importance I say it is
dishonest to regard any method to be a standard of all methods including
itself.  This dishonesty will create junk mathematics and I said as much in
my reply to Alex's use of the code words."

Actually, from my perspectives -  on word usage, rhetoric, logic and
mathematics, Don's argument here is dishonest and junk.

     The argument first tries to exploit and magnify a readily dissolvable
possible confusion among at least three quite different sorts of things - a
confusion possible only because they share the common label 'Condorcet':
Condorcet Winner (a possible feature of an election), Condorcet Criterion (a
possible feature of an election method), and Condorcet Methods (certain
methods explicitly designed to have the feature).

     Don's main claim seems to be that there is a 'Condorcet' conspiracy to
institute a Condorcet 'standard'.  Even if you were determined to be a bit
confused, his claim still would not follow.

     Concerning ANY election, by ANY method in which pairwise preference may
be expressed (or in a well-defined way inferred), we may ask - as a simple
matter of interest and curiosity about facts - whether there is or is not a
Condorcet Winner, and if yes then who.

     Our interest and curiosity need have NOTHING at all to do with whether
we like or dislike or praise or blame the election method, or use it as a
'standard', or have another 'standard', or desire some kind of magical
'Condorcet' standard, or in fact have or want a 'standard' at all.

     So why should I or Richard or anyone assume (or need 'education') that
there's a hidden 'code' or hidden agenda?  If you're ready to assume that,
then you're ready, like the 1950's conspiracy theorists, to spend life
worrying about the Communist (Condorcist?) potentially hidden under each and
every mattress.

     Or, if you are a Communist yourself, you are ready to worry endlessly
about the lurking capitalist agents who supposedly use the code word
'dollar' to sneak mercenary and capitalist propaganda and standards into as
many conversations as possible.

Don deplores taking  "any method to be a standard of all methods including
itself"  Allegedly this procedure is a "dishonesty" which "will create junk
mathematics".  Not at all.

Non-junk math often takes a given object as standard for many objects,
necessarily including itself.  For instance, given a coordinatized plane,
the origin serves as a standard of location for all points, including
itself.

Don of course speaks here not of standard 'objects' but of  standard
'methods'.  All right, let's give another example (much more long-winded),
this time of a method which serves as a standard for many methods, including
itself.  The example comes in fact from the mathematics developed to study
logic - and build computers.

     An important kind of mathematical structure is called a Boolean algebra
(in brief, BA).  The methods we consider are those which can be used to
define and create BAs.

     [Extended digression for the technically minded but not technically
schooled: a BA is defined by a set of elements, and by three operations
(often signified by symbols v, & and -) which are defined on these elements.
  v and & are two-argument operations (like ordinary addition), and - has
one argument (like the - used to signify a negative number such as -17.)
These respective operations must satisfy relationships found among usual set
or logical operations known familiarly as 'or', 'and' and 'not'.  From the
operations one may also derive a comparison relation, and in terms of this
comparison there are two special elements: a least or 'zero' element and a
greatest or 'universal' element.]

     A simplest and most evident general way to create a BA is by method
FOS, i.e. as a so-called 'field of sets':  take a given set S of objects,
take certain subsets (by design or at whim) of S, form all repeated unions
and intersections and complements (in S) of these subsets to get yet more
subsets, and then define the BA as follows:  elements = all defined subsets,
v = operation of union of two subsets, & = operation of intersection of two
subsets, - = operation of complement in (subtraction from) the universal
element S.

     So FOS is an obviously workable method for creating many BAs.   But a
truly ideal 'standard' method would enable you, using that method, to create
an isomorphic copy of every possible BA.

     The greatest triumph of early modern study of BAs was Stone's
representation theorem, which showed that FOS is indeed such a standard:
EVERY BA is isomorphic to one which is created by FOS.  In fact, knowing the
elements and the workings of the operations of a given BA, Stone's proof
shows how to use FOS to create another BA isomorphic to it.  This is true in
every case, including the case that the original BA itself was earlier
created by FOS.

     So FOS is indeed a standard for all BA-creating methods, including
itself.

Don goes on to argue:

"It is not proper to use any of the considered methods as a standard ... It
would be as if in the American Beauty Contest Miss California (or Miss
Condorcet) was regarded to be the standard by which all the contestants are
to be judged including Miss California - and the winner is Miss California -
of course, who else - more deceit of the Condorcet people."

     In other words, you should not be able to choose a method as standard
and then enter it in a contest whose goal is to best fit the standard's own
salient features.  This argument appeals to our desire for 'fairness' to the
other contestants;  but the argument is itself illogical and unfair.  If
your standard was chosen as the most perfect available fit to desired
behavior or performance of some kind, then any fully open contest based just
on such behavior or performance SHOULD logically and fairly choose your
standard, not reject it.

     For instance, suppose that you are King Midas and that - thanks to its
desirable (to you) material properties - you have chosen 24K gold as the
'standard' substance.  Then you run a fully open contest among all
materials, with the prize to the one which best fulfills these properties.
The winner of your contest SHOULD be 24K gold.

     It's really quite OK to set up a standard and then use it to win
contests.  What IS improper is different:  namely, to claim that your
standard is universal, after nonetheless having derived the standard based
on criteria which fail to be relevant for all uses.

     In particular, for election methods we lack sufficiently limiting
criteria which are relevant for all purposes.  That's the real reason why no
one method serves as the unqualified universal standard.

By the way, I myself am not too concerned about Condorcet Winners, nor
focused on the Condorcet Criterion, nor have I much interest in comparisons
and intracacies of various Condorcet Methods; and I certainly don't perceive
any such method as somehow a 'standard'.

But I'm tired of being - along with innocent others - subjected to illogical
and uninformed (when not also deliberately misleading) rants about alleged
Condorcet codes and conspiracies; about alleged standards and
pseudostandards; and about allegedly junk mathematics.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA