[EM] 05/13/02 - The Education of Poor Richard:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Mon May 13 05:35:30 PDT 2002

05/13/02 - The Education of Poor Richard:

Greetings list members,

Richard Moore's rantings in his letter of 5/5 are not understandable.  The
best I can say for him is that he is clueless as to what is being said
and/or implied by the `code words' used on this list, or maybe he has
volunteered to act as a Pit Bull for Alex (without Alex asking).  Poor
Richard should pay more attention to code words before going ballistic.
For his information and education, the words `Condorcet candidate' or
`Condorcet winner' are code words which mean or imply that Condorcet is the
standard for all single-seat election methods including Condorcet itself.

Whenever anyone uses the code words `Condorcet Winner' they are attempting
to establish Condorcet to this high position as the standard of all
single-seat election methods including Condorcet itself.  I do not accept
Condorcet as the standard, but of more importance I say it is dishonest to
regard any method to be a standard of all methods including itself.  This
dishonesty will create junk mathematics and I said as much in my reply to
Alex's use of the code words.

It is not proper to use any of the considered methods as a standard, not
Plurality nor Irving nor any of variants of the junk methods, Approval and
Condorcet.  It would be as if in the American Beauty Constest Miss
California (or Miss Condorcet) was regarded to be the standard by which all
the contestants are to be judged including Miss California - and the winner
is Miss California - of course, who else - more deceit of the Condorcet
people.

In my letter of 5/05/02 titled: `Condorcet just does not make the cut', I
felt I finally made "..the point that no method should be regarded as the
standard for all the methods including itself..."  There was nothing taken
out of context, there were no errors by me, there was no misdirection by
me.  It is not clear as to what Poor Richard is talking about, as to what
he is ranting about?

    Alex understands what Alex is saying.
        I understand what Alex is saying.
             Poor Richard is the problem.