[EM] aka [Junk Election Methods] 05/05/02 - Condorcet just does not make the cut:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Sun May 5 00:36:33 PDT 2002

05/05/02 - Condorcet just does not make the cut:

Alex, you wrote: "Seriously, do you disagree with the statement that IRV
can elect a candidate who is also a Condorcet winner?  Do you disagree that
the IRV winner is not guaranteed to be the Condorcet winner?"

Donald:  I tried to make the point that no method should be regarded as the
standard for all the methods including itself, but you will not have that,
will you?  It seems that you are insisting that one of the single-seat
methods should be a standard for all, so be it.  If necessary, I can play
that silly game.  Irving is more than qualified to be the standard of the
single-seat election methods.

I will agree that Condorcet can elect a candidate who is also an `Irving
Winner', but that the Condorcet winner is not guaranteed to be the `Irving
Winner'.

That is one of the bad features of Condorcet, it does not always measure up
to the `standard' of Irving.  Sorry, but Condorcet just does not make the
cut.

Alex: "Finally, for the record, MY FELLOW STUDENT IS EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT!
I WOULDN'T ROUTINELY ARGUE POLITICS WITH HER IF I DIDN'T THINK SHE HAD
SMART POINTS TO MAKE!"

Donald:  Please, not so loud, you're shouting.
     You wrong me, for it was not I that questioned the intellegence of
your `Fellow Student', it was the Demon Repo Man, the successor to Mike in
the name calling department.

    I miss the old Mike.
      His posts were such a joy to read, so colorful.
        Mike's no fun no more.
          The Repo Man is now the fun guy.
            The King is dead.
              Long live the King.

Regards,
   Donald Davison, host of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald
                        Candidate Election Methods
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                        Q U O T A T I O N                          |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |        except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."   |
   |                           - Age 10 -                              |
    APV   Approval Voting
    ATV   Alternative Vote  aka  IRV Instant Runoff Voting  aka  IRVing
    FPTP  First Past The Post  aka  Plurality
    NOTA  None of the Above  aka  RON Re-Open Nominations
    STV   Single Transferable Vote  aka  Choice Voting  aka  Hare-Clark
          aka  Preference Voting  aka  Hare Preferential Voting

Please be advised that sending email to me allows me to quote from it
and/or forward the entire email to others.

----