[EM] Winning-votes intuitive?

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sun Mar 31 18:59:14 PST 2002

Despite the fact that this debate has been on the list since long before I
showed up, I really think we're making progress.

I wrote and Blake responded

>>A beats B, 70% winning votes (25% losing)
>>B beats C, 52% winning votes (45% losing)
>>C beats A, 50% winning votes (40% losing)
>>
>>By virtue of a slight perturbation (the sort that would fall within
>>polling error margins in the real-world, nonzero-information case)
>>candidate A now wins the election.  In this case, if I (any many others
>>like me) randomly vote B over C, we change nothing, while if I (any many
>>others like me) randomly vote C over B, we may turn B's victory over C
>>into a defeat, and we turn C into a Condorcet winner.  This causes the
>>defeat of A, our favorite.
>When I talk about randomly filling out a ballot, it is something each
>person would do individually.  The whole group wouldn't decide to vote B
>over C or C over B en masse.  Now I understand what you meant by saying
>this would require co-ordination.

That's not what I meant when I said that (in an earlier message).  What I
meant was that I doubt most voters will take to the idea of random ballot
completion on their own, so a faction's leaders would have to encourage
their voters to do so.  Even if folks decide independently to randomly
complete, some voters may have some inclination to cast the vote for the
candidate they prefer ever-so-slightly between those bottom two.  So
co-ordination from the top (random voting schemes based on the last digit
of your phone number, for example) would probably be called for to
guarantee a faction doesn't lean their "random" ballot completion one way,
and hurt its chances.

But this is not really what the above example is about.  The above example
simply shows that random ballot completion CAN hurt you, if you pick the
wrong side.  There's no denying that.  But your point is well taken: if a
large group of like-minded voters commit to voting truly randomly on the
bottom of their ballot, then there is only a tiny chance that they will end
up hurting their cause (only if their randomness ends up accidentally
favoring one candidate), and they can help their cause in certain
situations.  So this is an advantage of margins over winning votes.  The
first and only one that has been demonstrated to me.

I have several responses to this weakness.  First, allow me to borrow from
your favorite counter argument from when I was criticizing margins methods
earlier on this thread.  While this random ballot completion can help a
faction, all they are really doing is strategic order-reversal on half the
ballots, while the bottom listings on the other half of the ballots don't
change anything.  Needless to say, this means that you can do the same
thing with order-reversal (or order fabrication, as it were) as you can
with random ballots. The only time the random-ballot completion is actually
the optimal approach is in the zero-information case, which of course is
pretty rare in public elections.  The strategic truncation issues that can
cause problems in margins methods have the same property, but this still
bears mentioning.

Secondly, this tactic only works when one faction is aware that random
ballot completion is a good plan, while the other faction is not.  If
everyone randomly completes, then you have exactly the same results you
would have if margins methods had been used.  Presumably, when it matters,
all faction leaders will so advise their voters.  So in the realistic
zero-information case (if that's not an oxymoron) winning votes and margins
will produce about the same results.

Third, this failure caused by winning votes random ballot completion has an
analogy in margins voting with strategic truncation.  Take the case

9 ABC
8 BCA
7 CAB
3 ACB
3 BAC
3 BCA

B>C 7
A>B 5
C>A 3

If the BAC voters strategically truncate to B, then C>A jumps up to 6, and
B wins the election in stead of A.  Granted, this is not the
zero-information case, but it shows that margins can fail for the natural
circular tie with strategic truncation.  In winning votes, the BAC voters
would have to actually order-reverse to get what they wanted.

The proper response to this strategy is for the CAB voters to bury their
favorite and vote ACB, which is a more radical tactic than just truncating
was.  So unlike most random completion problems, the best strategic
response is more radical than the truncation that forced the response.

I fully realize that this same effect could have been caused by order
reversal in winning votes methods (although not by random second
place).  But I'd argue that it's much harder to convince a faction to swap
positions on their ballot than to convince them to bullet vote their favorite.

Finally, and most importantly in my mind, is the situations when the
weaknesses of margins and winning votes methods present themselves.  The
only time random ballot completion in winning votes can cause a problem,
but strategic truncation in margins cannot, is when there is a cyclic tie.
Strategic truncation, on the other hand, can actually cause a Condorcet
winner to lose.  My original example from the beginning of the tread
illustrates this exact point.  Since the cyclic tie is, in my opinion, a
relatively unlikely event, an election method that minimizes strategy when
a Condorcet winner exists is very desirable.  In winning votes, only order
reversal can bring down a Condorcet winner, but other, less invasive
options exist in margins methods.

It comes down to how you think the public will react to various strategic
incentives.  If you truly feel that the public will have no qualms
whatsoever about any manner of strategy, and indeed that they will figure
out the optimal strategy without any help from their faction leaders, then
there is no real difference between margins and winning votes.  Both will
occasionally be perverted toward undesirable results by a faction
practicing order-reversal.  But in my opinion, certain strategic tactics
will be more palatable to the public, and will be easier to sell.  Bullet
voting, or strategic truncation, seems like BY FAR the easiest one to
sell.  You're not asking the voters to "lie", you're merely asking them to
"not tell the whole truth".  I expect lots of people would see it this
way.  It is for this reason that I consider margins methods' strategic
pitfalls to be more dangerous than those of winning votes methods.

A summary:

***** The strategic options that winning votes methods allow (and margins
methods do not) only come up when there are cyclic ties, generally apply
equally to many factions, and tend to cancel out between factions and
produce identical results to margins methods.  The strategic options that
margins methods allow (and winning votes methods do not) can come up when
there is a Condorcet winner, generally apply asymmetrically to certain
factions, and often require defensive voting changes on the part of other
factions to counteract, including favorite betrayal. ******

>>The moral of the story?  Losing votes do matter just as much as winning
>>votes in winning votes methods.  They just don't matter until they become
>>winning votes.  I've heard the argument here that this is too sudden and
>>sharp a change, since we suddenly switch from considereing ONLY the votes
>>on one side to considering ONLY the votes on the other.  This is sort of
>>a silly argument, since every election method has some boderline where
>>all of a sudden one vote causes a completely different result.  How you
>>count the votes (winning votes vs. margins, for example) only decides
>>where this border falls; it does not make this border any less stark.

>Obviously there is going to be a sudden change between who wins.  On the
>other hand, such a change doesn't commit me to believing that a strong win
>for A has become a strong win for B.  Since winning votes gives a vote of
>50 to 49 precedence over one of 49 to 4, it seems like winning votes
>thinks the former is in some way more decisive, or in other words,
>strong.  So, we can easily argue that the method goes from strong one way
>to strong the other with a change of a single vote.  That's quite
>different than saying  merely that the winner might change because of one vote.

My opinion, which you are of course free to disagree with, is that this
difference only matters insofar as it determines which candidate wins the
election.

When we examine winning votes vs. margins, the differences are clear:
winning votes encourages random ballot completion in low-information
elections, while margins allows strategic truncation to accomplish
reversals that require strategic order-reversal in winning votes.  As I
explained above, I find the problems with margins to be more
problematic.  The actual tabulation methods that lead to these differences
are, in the final analysis, sort of irrelevant.

One final thought.  on 3/20 I posted a message about Approval Completed
Condorcet.  The idea was to use a graded ballot (ABCDEF, for example).  If
there was not a Condorcet winner, then the candidate with the most approval
votes (A's, B's, and C's in the case of ABCDEF ballots) wins the
election.  In my initial analysis, this method seemed at least as good as
the other Condorcet methods we like to discuss.  Furthermore, it seems like
it could be an easier method to pitch, since the cycle-breaker is VERY
intuitive.  So I guess what I'm asking is... does ACC render this whole
debate meaningless?  Just a thought.

-Adam