IRV's nonmonotonicity

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sat Mar 30 22:16:57 PST 2002

Rob wrote:

>  9:A>B>C
>  8:B>C>A
>  6:C>A>B
>
>A wins by all four methods.  Now four of the B>C>A voters switch to C>A>B,
>which is "upranking" A by Adam's definition:
>
>  9:A>B>C
>  4:B>C>A
>10:C>A>B

                                Now C wins.

FFrom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Sat Mar 30 22:26:23 2002
From: DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:25:15 EST
Subject: RE:  03/29/02 -  Rob Richie Letter and Non-Monotonicity:
To: election-methods-list at eskimo.com

Donald, who apparently became a IRV fanatic, wrote in part-

Anti-IRV and Anti-STV people need bogus examples to support their bogus
claims that true reform methods are somehow defective.  Rob shows that he
is aware of this when he included in his letter the following: "(why would
every B voter rank C second, but no C voters rank B second)"
----
D- Some folks continue to remain clueless about ALL methods having problems
with 3 or more choices if there is no first choice majority.

Once again --

Times are rough and tough -- such as 1932.  Extremists seem to be vogue.
Moderates seem to be split.

34 HWS
33 SWH
16 WHS
16 WSH

99

With IRV W loses, H beats S 50-49

Who might have a YES majority ???   Could it be W ??

Who definitely beats each of the other 2 choices head to head ???    W.

H Hitler clone, S Stalin clone, W Washington clone

I suggest that ANY method that uses ONLY PART of the data in the method is
severely defective.

IRV uses ONLY part of a place votes table when it eliminates candidates and is
 thus severely defective.

Thus -- voting YES or NO on each choice obviously uses ALL of the data.

Thus -- Number Voting (1, 2, etc.) using Condorcet (head to head) uses ALL of
the data.

How many methods use ALL of the data in the method ???

rom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Sat Mar 30 22:26:23 2002