[EM] More on Gerrymander prevention

Anthony Simmons bbadonov at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 30 17:46:46 PST 2002

>> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:22:11 -0800
>> From: "Michael Rouse" <mrouse at cdsnet.net>
>> Subject: Re: [EM] More on Gerrymander prevention

>> Well, Oregon (the state I live in) has the requirement
>> that districts be contiguous and connected by
>> transportation links. Drawing districts based on the
>> efficiency of such transportation links is step beyond
>> that, but a logical one. It would certainly be worth
>> looking at.

Yikes!  This is an interesting consideration.  I'm tempted to
say that no legislator would stoop to spending money to build
unnecessary roads for redistricting purposes, but then it's
not all that different from what they already do.

Perhaps you have a strong argument against basing districts
on anything that can be manipulated by anyone in power.  I
guess that was the reason for coming up with an automatic
redistricting method in the first place.  (Though of course
the vote itself is manipulated by advertisers.)

I guess we're back to population and geography as underlying
basis.