[EM] 03/30/02 - Re: How to vote in Approval:

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Sat Mar 30 16:22:36 PST 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Donald Davison wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> But 3 different Australians have told me that it's common for
> preferrers of 3rd parties to insincerely rank one of the big-2 in
> 1st place, so as not to "waste [their] vote".
>
> Donald: I don't believe this.  Either those three Australians are telling
> you what you want to hear, if in fact they really did tell you that, or you
> are only hearing what you want to hear.  You are either fooling yourself or
> are being fooled.

I would believe it if there was a well-known case of a spoiler candidate
throwing the election to the mutual opposition (ala Nader in 2000).  We've
discussed many times on this list about the theoretical possibility of
this happening.  Since Australia has been using the system for 80 years or
so, it seems likely that if the IRV-skeptics are correct, this has likely
happened.

I share Donald's skepicism that typical voters would be that sophisticated
without some sort of educational experience.  I'm sure Mike's not lying,
so I'm very curious what the cause of the strategy decision is.

Mike, have you ever asked them about whether their strategy decision was
based on?  If it was an actual election gone sour, that would be very,
very valuable information.  Actually, any information (such as big party
FUD, school lessons, etc) would be very valuable to know.

Rob