BC & PR

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 19:36:15 PST 2002

DEMOREP1:

First, I thank you for the reference to another book on Hitler' rise to power.
I hope to get my hands on it. In the meantime, let me post a little excerpt
from the booklet, the 31st in a series of "Public Policy Pamphlets" published
by the University of Chicago Press, which I referred to in my previous message:

  "Thus in 1919 PR merely prevented the development of a Social Democratic
majority. Nevertheless, during this period the "Weimar Coalition" of Social
Democrats, Democrats, and Center party had a large majority, and this coalition
was organic enough to allow for a reasonable degree of government authority.
This became different, however, in the second phone of the effects of PR,
extending from 1920 to 1930, which may be called the period of "pluralistic
stagnation." It was followed by a period of reaction against this stagnation,
which assumed revolutionary proportions, and ended with the assumption of power
by Hitler on January 30, 1933."
  "The second period was inaugurated by the elections to the first Reichstag,
held under a PR system more proportional - and therefore more dangerous - than
that of 1919. . . All that kept [Hitler's party] alive was its chance to obtain
some measure of success in every election in which it participated. Otherwise
it would probably have disbanded, and Hitler might have resumed the peaceful
profession of painting houses."
--Hermens, F. A., _Democracy and Proportional Representation_, University of
Chicago Press, 1940, pgs 23-4.

SB

[...]