[EM] Saari's Basic Argument

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 15:22:00 PST 2002

Forest:

> From:  Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...>
> Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  10:59 am
> Subject:  Re: [EM] Saari's Basic Argument
>
> At best Saari proves that Borda is the best choice method based on
> rankings in situations where there can be no stacking of the deck (clones)
> or insincere rankings.

This seems to beg a question of balance. At what point is the BC's accuracy at
determining the "correct" winner overcome by it's mamipulatability? Your
qualification about sincere votes seems to imply that there must be some point
at which another method is more likely then the BC to determine the winner(s)
which would have been elected by the BC under sincere voting conditions. It
seems to me that this may be a quantifiable problem.

SB