[EM] More on Gerrymander prevention

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 25 09:33:01 PST 2002

Josh wrote:

>I think the map should be non-geographic, and, instead, road-based.
>
>Dense networks of roads should not be separated into separate districts.
>An urban area on two sides of a bridge could easily be divided.

Very slick idea Josh.  The question becomes, how do you come up with a
measure of road connectivity?  I would propose basing it on the same
principles as electrical resistance.  The "resistance" of a road connecting
two points is proportional to its length, and inversely proportional to the
number of lanes.  Find the "resistance" of every road connecting two
adjacent census blocks, and add them in parallel (1/total = 1/first +
1/second + ...).  Invert this total resistance to get the "conductance" or
"road connectivity" of two adjacent census blocks.

Build a graph (computer science-type graph, with nodes and edges) out of
the census blocks, with each edge (border) weighted by the connectivity
between those two nodes (census blocks)  Now, we just tell the algorithm to
build equal-population districts that maximize total connectivity.  It's a
well-defined graph theory problem.

-Adam