[EM] More on Gerrymander prevention

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Mon Mar 25 09:01:40 PST 2002

Ease-of-communication got me thinking.

I think the map should be non-geographic, and, instead, road-based.

Dense networks of roads should not be separated into separate districts. An
urban area on two sides of a bridge could easily be divided.

Ignoring real geography in exchange for the human-built road-topology of an
area isn't actually ignoring geography, since there will be few (and windy)
mountain roads.

This also completely plays to the hand of the candidate who actually wants
to visit his constituents. The road network they would travel would be
minimal.

Please pardon my lack of effective mathematical terminology for this. I do
recognize that the problem is the kind with relative minima, and no direct
course to the solution. However, we could leave the program running for
years, looking for best examples.