[EM] Gerrymandering

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:19:00 PST 2002

Short of forcing everyone into a single district, with resulting guaranteed
huge campaign costs for small parties or obscure candidacies, it's NOT
necessarily easier to maximize overall geographic fitness or 'utility' of an
apportionment scheme by using PR.

By the way, usual PR presumes that voters want to be proportionally
represented ONLY according to political party, not other criteria, including
geographic proximity.  That's as mistaken as the present one-rep
one-locality fiasco.  Also by the way, we would get much better 'PR' using
PAV applied to individual candidates, not parties.

Given a set of social and political and geographic criteria, including
district compactness - measured e.g. as Alex suggests or by sum of some
function of distance of each voter from a minimiziing 'central' point in
her/his district - it would probably be impossible even with current
computing power to choose the VERY best apportionment scheme.

However, each voter, or each of a large class of undeniable experts, could
each be allowed to nominate an apportionment scheme, and then computer
checking could verify which scheme among those nominated would be best or
near best.  Or, a legislature or court would be mandated to choose from
among the top 100, or top 5, or maybe instead the top 1%, of the nominated
schemes.