[EM] WSJ Gerrymander story

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:52:27 PST 2002

Compactness means closed and bounded.  All districts on planet earth are
bounded.  They can be closed iff nobody lives precisely on the boundary,
so that boundary points can be in more than one neighboring district.

In other words, compactness (insofar as it is feasible) doesn't stop
Gerrymandering.

Perhaps you meant "compactness" in some non-technical sense.

We could require minimization (over all districts) of the maximum
diameter, for example.

Forest