[EM] Working with journalists

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:38:35 PST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Anthony Simmons wrote:

> I did, however, find a good piece on writing op-eds and
> letters to the editor.  It's at
>
>     http://www.pirgim.org/toolkit/media.html
>
> It's got some pointers for writing a piece and getting it
> published.
>
> Hold on, I just remembered something ... Yep, found it!  It's
> at http://electronicIntifada.net/generaladvice.html
>
> It's got all kinds of info on working with the press.
> Excellent resource.
>
> Oh, one other thing:  In addition to newspapers, there are
> other publications that would cover election methods, like
> Discover and Science News.  They have science writers, who
> are more likely to get it right.  Just a thought.

That's helpful.  Ideally, there should be some back and forth on these
things that don't have urgent deadlines, so that the final version that
gets published is acceptable to both author and publisher, or else it
doesn't get published.

Is there some way of specifying this arrangement in a legally binding way?

Forest