IRV unconstitutional?

Anthony Simmons bbadonov at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 22:13:01 PST 2002

>> From: "MIKE OSSIPOFF" <nkklrp at hotmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: IRV unconstitutional?

Well, this is amazing -- a message running over two hundred
lines (quoted in full below), and ending with "I don't have
time"!

I will reply to the smaller part (reductio ad absurdum, IRV
and the equal protection clause) first, and then respond to
the main part of the message, the bashing.

There is no way a court is going to accept that "equal
protection" prohibits IRV.  Courts don't take kindly to
manipulation of verbiage at the expense of intent.  The
intent of the equal protection clause is to require that the
same rules apply to everyone, and IRV clearly does not flout
that.  Even if you were to fool a district judge, you would
have to survive an appeal.  I assumed when you suggested it
that it was facetious, and treated it accordingly.

I mentioned parody and reductio ad absurdum, and used the latter
by applying your reasoning to plurality, showing that it
leads to an absurd conclusion (that plurality is
unconstitutional) and is therefore not valid reasoning.  I
suppose I should have explained that reductio is also applied
to derived inference rules, instead of assuming you knew
that.  Anyway, you know now.

Incidentally, your formulation of reductio is a bit off.
Formally, it's generally of the form:

    If assuming -P allows us to derive a contradiction, then
    P must be true.

Often, Q is P, giving a simplified rule:  If assuming -P
allows us to derive P, then P is true.

Note that in the latter case we derive P, _not_ known in
advance to be false (or true, for that matter), so your
formulation of reductio is clearly not quite right.  (We
could, of course, make the rule that says that the derivation
is completed when the constant "False" appears, and define
reductio that way, but it's a bit roundabout, since this is
always done by way of exhibiting a contradiction.)  Thus the
standard statement of reductio is that if assuming -P leads
to a contradiction, then P is true.

Though you got it close enough for most purposes.

And now for the main thrust of Mike's message, the bashing:

Everyone reacts to disagreement with some degree of annoyance
on occasion.  Some of us simply scowl and move on, some snap
at the perceived source (usually just the messenger), and
some, so the conventional wisdom goes, feel threatened, and
try to deter by way of attack.

I don't mind responding to barbs with a few of my own, as
long as it's kept within reason.  A challenge of wit can be
amusing.  In the best of times, it can be hillarious.  But
there should be limits; I have no use for hatefulness.  So I
face a quandary:  how to respond.

Comparable retaliation is prohibited by conscience, even if
it were appealing.

(Speaking of bashings, has anyone else been following the
election in Zimbabwe?  Talk about bashings!  Zimbabwe is now
a dictatorship.)

We can look the other way.  This past week, a newcomer
criticized Mike's letter -- just one sentence about the style
-- and got bashed.  I don't think people should have to be
wary of what they say in order to avoid a bashing.  That just
shows the perpetrator that it works.

   If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we
   should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough
   to disarm all hostility.         -- Longfellow

We could try to reassure each perpetrator, but I don't know
how to do that in an email group.

Or we can call attention to it and make sure that each
bashing will be seen for exactly what it is.  I'm aware that
this runs the risk of being interpreted as retaliation in
kind, but talking about abuse should not be equated with
abuse, as long as people are careful to respect the line
between them.  We have the right -- and often the duty -- to
object to abuse, and I think it can be done in civil fashion.
The name calling didn't stop until it was dealt with
directly; unfortunately, the result seems to be a change in
tactics rather than abandonment of the vitriol altogether.

So, I encourage anyone who has read this far to briefly
peruse the message I'm replying to, preserved in its totality
below, and ask, what is the purpose of this?  What is the
motivation?  Let it speak for itself.

Then I invite Mike to do the same, and answer those questions
(silently, to himself, of course) the way someone else would.

Now, I know you're thinking, "what about you?"  Yes, I've
reread this message and while it's not perfect, I've made a
concerted effort to keep it on the civil and unprovocative
side of the line between constructive and viscious, and I
think I've dealt with a distasteful matter about as well as
possible.

Fortunately, Mike has already promised not to respond further
to anything I say.  While a lot of people would succumb to
the temptation to make excuses and weasel out of such a
promise, I'm crediting Mike with the strength of character to
keep his promise, so the matter is now closed.  And if Mike
takes my advice in the previous paragraph, we will see less
bashing in the future.