[EM] Re: IRV wins big in SF and Vermont

Anthony Simmons bbadonov at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 22:07:09 PST 2002

>> From: Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [EM] Re:  IRV wins big in SF and Vermont

>> > By the way, how did your article turn out, that you wrote
>> > about a year ago?

>> The local Green newsletter published about a third of it,
>> with a short rebuttal from the local IRV committee chair,
>> "Arrow's Theorem says that all election methods have
>> problems, so IRV is no worse than any other method, and
>> since it solves the spoiler problem, let's don't get side
>> tracked with Approval, etc."

>> They refused to look at any counter rebuttal from me since
>> they were already on board with the IRV initiative.  In
>> other words, they used a editorially weakened version of
>> my article as a straw man to knock down (in order to give
>> the appearance of balanced coverage of the issue).

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw many years ago, a picture of a
Zen monk sitting quietly on tatami, the apotheosis of
serenity.  Stashed behind a paper screen is a pile -- a TV,
some skis, speakers ...

I guess your experience is yet another reminder that a
serious interest in fairness is not sufficient to ensure
fairness, and we should all be wary.  In particular, I make a
habit of not putting my efforts in the hands of anyone liable
to abuse the privilege (whenever possible), and I recommend
the policy to all.

I know you put a lot of effort into that paper.  I hope to
hear that it has been resurrected in a place where it will be
properly appreciated.