[EM] Re: IRV wins big in SF and Vermont

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Mar 11 13:39:07 PST 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Anthony Simmons wrote:

> >> From: Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
> >> Subject: Re: [EM] Re:  IRV wins big in SF and Vermont
>
> >> I second all of Alex's suggestions below.  Mike, Bart, and
> >> Richard have all written clearly and convincingly on the
> >> topic of Approval versus IRV, as well as Approval versus
> >> other methods.
>
> >> If we had someone like Anthony Simmons whose mom was an
> >> English professor to edit a compendium of the best efforts
> >> of theirs (and of others that want to contribute), it
> >> would be quite a book!
>

> I'd be happy to edit or otherwise contribute to such an
> effort, and I'm also thinking it's about time we did
> something along those lines.
>
> By the way, how did your article turn out, that you wrote
> about a year ago?

The local Green newsletter published about a third of it, with a short
rebuttal from the local IRV committee chair, "Arrow's Theorem says that
all election methods have problems, so IRV is no worse than any other
method, and since it solves the spoiler problem, let's don't get side
tracked with Approval, etc."

They refused to look at any counter rebuttal from me since they were
already on board with the IRV initiative.  In other words, they used a
editorially weakened version of my article as a straw man to knock down
(in order to give the appearance of balanced coverage of the issue).

I submitted it to Z Magazine, too, but never got any reply of any kind.

I will be a couple of months before I have the time to revamp that article
again.

Forest