[EM] Alaska Court Rejects Redistricting

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 24 18:57:41 PST 2002

A report from the outer real world of gerrymanders.

Which State will be the last to have its brand new post- 2000 Census minority
rule gerrymanders in force ???
-----------
Alaska Court Rejects Redistricting

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - The Alaska Supreme Court rejected the state's
redistricting map and sent it back to the state panel that drew it to be
reworked.

The map, which was approved by the five-member Redistricting Board last June,
faced nine legal challenges from individuals, the Republican Party and
several cities and boroughs.

Plaintiffs argued that the 40-district map failed to satisfy state
constitutional requirements that state legislative districts be compact, of
equal population and socially and economically integrated.

Republicans also complained that the map pitted 20 GOP incumbents against
each other in the 2002 election.

The 4-1 court ruling struck down 19 House districts and ordered three others
reviewed.

``We obviously feel we have been vindicated,'' plaintiffs' lawyer Michael
White said after the decision Thursday.

Board lawyer Philip R. Volland was unavailable for comment.

The Redistricting Board is appointed by the governor, who names two members,
and the Senate president, House speaker and Supreme Court chief justice, who
each appoint one member.