[EM] phoney centrist, something for everyone candidates

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:21:32 PST 2002

This didn' get delivered the 1st time, and so I'm sending it again.

With any voting system a candidate benefits from being widely-liked
and a dishonest candidate would try to please as many as possible.
And with IRV he can benefit from kissing up to people whom he couldn't
get anywhere with in Approval, unless it really looks like they need
him.

The motive for a dishonest candidate to try to be something for everyone
surely isn't limited to any one voting system. It's up to the voters
to spot a liar. If they can't do that, then we're in trouble anyway.

We're all familiar with candidates who take lots of corporate money,
obey their contributors' instructions, and talk progressive or populilst
too. I don't claim that they'd stop doing that if we used Approval,
Condorcet, IRV or any other voting system. Even the favorite Democrat
darlings of the progressives typically do that.

The point is that if someone looks like a genuine compromise that you
need, you don't have to abandon your favorite for him in Approval.

Mike Ossipoff