Saari reply

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jun 22 08:05:22 PDT 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:56:32 +0000 MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment that it would be good to be able to
> vote several preference levels. We've discussed a number of such
> methods. Personally, Condorcet(wv) is my favorite, of the methods
> that are simple enough to propose.
>
> But, as Alex pointed out, the expereience on EM is a preview of
> what it will be like with a Condorcet proposal.
>
> Mike Ossipoff

I think "preview" is the wrong word:

EM is a collection of activists who study the universe of possible
election methods and debate relative advantages and disadvantages - USEFUL
work.

The voting population in a city, state, or country need to be able to
express their thoughts in reasonable detail, with minimal effort required
to understand the rules.  While they may include a few EM-level
enthusiasts, the rules must be such that most understand them AND do not
have a suspicion that they are missing something:
      Aside from my dislike of IRV for sometimes awarding the election
incorrectly, there are strategies for those swift enough to understand
them, and thus cause for upset to those who know they exist but are not up
to using them.
      CR also looks like a host for strategies to me.
      While Condorcet's cyclic ambiguities can be a debate topic,
hopefully these only occur in near-tie situations, and those who would
debate hopefully can be locked in a closet until they can agree on a
public position.

AND, I see explaining Condorcet to voters as reasonably simple:
      Think of the candidates in order, starting with your top preference
and continuing until you lose interest - and indicate this ordered list on
the ballot.
      Ignore any troublemaker who talks of spoilers.  Listing your desired
minor candidate first will have ZERO effect on what your voting as to the
major candidates does (of course, if enough voters show preference for
that minor candidate, then that candidate would really be major and
possibly win).
      Ignore troublemakers who talk of desiring to show the same
preference for two or more candidates.  You cannot do this, but are little
deprived - ranking two candidates next to each other gives them the same
preference relative to all other candidates - which you list first will
not matter unless they are tied for winning.
--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----