[EM] Saari reply

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:55:22 PDT 2002

I think Alex has fairly well summarized merits of the options:

"Approval and its 3-level cousin are basically free.  I'd think CR would be
cheap as well... the cousins offer more expressivity than Approval [itself]
... and [all] these methods don't carry the same controversies as Condorcet
variants..."

To fair approximation, summary evaluation boils down to tradeoff of
complexity/cheapness v. expressivity.  Here, 3-level (Majority Choice)
Approval is agreeably in the middle, and moreover offers the bonus of
meaningful  'majority rule' whenever feasible.

Joe Weinstein