[EM] 06/16/02 - Let's `Sort-Out' the Candidates:

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Wed Jun 19 07:04:32 PDT 2002

Rouse> 1. If the votes by new members of Congress reduced support
Rouse> for the bill under the level needed to pass it, the
Rouse> remaining members of Congress would be able to change
Rouse> their vote within a certain period of time, no waiver
Rouse> needed.

That makes a good deal of sense. Something like an "alert" period when the
threshhold of newly weighing in Reps is reached that would put the fate of
the law in question.

Rouse> 2. If the bill then gained enough "changed" votes to be
Rouse> approved, it would be resubmitted as a new bill for either
Rouse> the President's signature or veto.  If it did not gain
Rouse> enough votes, it would be repealed without ever reaching
Rouse> the President's desk.

Why should the process for removal be distinctly easier than installation?
The earlier Congress had to submit the law to the President to make it
official, I believe the later Congress should similarly put the law to the
President for dismissal. When Congress currently repeals their own laws,
they don't need the President's signature? Either way, I like the idea of
the identical backstop in both directions.

In the same vein, if a bill of a previous Congress had entered "alert" mode,
and then either the new congresspeople who hadn't yet voted, or the changed
votes of more senior congresspeople ensured at least a couple more years of
its existence, I do not believe the President has to be involved, since no
final decision was made by the current Congress to change its mind.

Of course, the danger of the system we are talking about is simply that
apparently Congress gets cowed and spineless mighty quickly in the face of
an incredibly well-heeled jingoistic war monger.