[EM] IRV letter in the San Jose Mercury

rmoore4 at cox.net rmoore4 at cox.net
Wed Jul 31 09:22:19 PDT 2002

Bart,

Good idea.

I've wondered how to write a letter that can convey the
extent of IRV's flaws in just two or three short paragraphs.

Technical details or numerical examples probably won't sway many opinions.

It seems like failing the participation criterion is one of IRV's biggest strike-outs. To put this failure into terms that are both convincing and readily understood would
put the myth that IRV will solve electoral problems to rest,
as people realize that they can hurt their candidate by simply showing up to vote.

Also there should be a URL or two included so interested parties can get more information on better alternatives.

 -- Richard

----