[EM] Seized by an idea - my changed views

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Jul 28 09:00:47 PDT 2002

Why not take the idea a step further-- take everything which does not
absolutely need to be the responsibility of government and place it back
where it belongs, on the individual citizen.  There is no reason a city
council serving a population if one million (e.g. San Jose, California)
should be voting on whether I need to mow my lawn once a week.

I'm not sure that limiting elections to a "collegiate scale" is the
answer either, if an example of such would be a typical homeowner's
association.  They seem to specialize entirely in functions which are
unnecessary.

Of those issues which have a legitimate need to be addressed by
government, I tend to think that some form of expertise is desirable, so
I'm not sure a jury-type draft is such a good idea.  Actually I'm not
all that impressed with juries, judging by some of the more notorious
jury decisions (although these are probably not representative of the
vast majority of jury decisions).

I believe that abandoning voting systems which lock in the two party
system (e.g. first-past-the-post, top-two runoff, and Hare or Instant
Runoff) is one way to begin to limit or overcome the oligarchy you
describe.  That is why I am interested in approval voting, and others
support pairwise methods.  Not that I'm in a hurry to topple the
existing parties without guarantee of something better, but the system
needs to be able to adapt and evolve.  Parties need to be able to rise
to power, divide, recombine, et cetera, as issues may require.  The
methods listed above all have built-in "glass ceilings" which prevent
new parties from competing with the top-two.

Bart Ingles