Consensus?: IRV vs. Primary w/Runoff

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 15:53:31 PST 2002

Forest and "DEMOREP1 at aol.com":

Yes, all voting methods certainly are manipulatable. In fact, that was
mathematically proven by Gibbard and Satterthwaite (Satterthwaite, Mark A.;
"Strategyproofness and Arrow's Conditions: Existence and Correspondence
Theorems for Voting Procedures and Social Welfare Functions"; Journal of
Economic Theory; Vol. 10, No. 2; April, 1975; 187-217; #654). However, it
remains true that some methods are more manipulatable than others. I am only
claiming that IRV is LESS manipulatable than the primary w/runoff procedure
when there are 4 or more candidates. With 3 candidates, given that voters
sincere preferences do not change from one balloting to the next, they are
mathematically equivalent; that is, they yield the same results. Does anybody
know if a proof of this assertion, or something to the contrary, has been
published? How about an example showing a case where the IRV is more
manipulatable than the Plurality Primary w/Runoff.

SB