Markus' Econometrica reference on RB & IIAC

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 09:12:11 PST 2002

Mr. Cretney wrote in part-

I am amazed by all the competing interpretations of sincere votes.  Mike
believes that a voter implies acceptance of any candidates she ranks.
 I, for one, believe no such acceptance is implied.  Some people believe
that they "approve" only of a fixed number of candidates, and that a
sincere approval vote is for exactly these candidates.  So for them, a
particular approval ballot corresponds to a particular judgment about
the candidates, a particular mental state.  Personally, I do not
normally make this kind of judgment about the candidates in an election.
----
D-  Desired (none,1 or more) > Compromise (none,1 or more) > Unacceptable
(none,1 or more)

Some of the earlier choices *may* be *sincere*.

Thus, my long time mention of YES/NO votes on choices (along with number
rankings and head to head math for the YES majority choices, if any).