[EM] Interesting use of Borda count

Jurij Toplak jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Sun Jan 27 09:12:08 PST 2002

There are about 25-30 nominees. That makes it more like hybrid of Approval
and Borda voting. You mentioned strategic voting - there is a large
possibility of strategic voting since countries do not give the votes at the
same time. They call to the TV show one by one and give their votes. So for
example, when the last country votes, they know the present results of all
the other countries. And this goes on very slowly (voting lasts for about an
hour) so there is even easier to adjust the votes. And there are also
emotions involved  - countries tend to vote for their friend-countries. For
example when there was the last "primary" voting for the candidate song in
old Yugoslavia, Slovenia, Croatia and Macedonia were voting for one group of
candidates and Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia for the other.