[EM] Monotonicity

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jan 17 17:09:35 PST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Bart Ingles wrote:

<snip>

> In fact non-monotonic situations are probably part of the natural
> progression of a party's growth cycle.  Imagine a small but growing
> third party (let's call them the neoliberals), who happen to be
> ideologically more extreme than the two major parties.

It's kind of like saying that the Isthmus of Panama is less than one
percent of the American continent(s), so we needn't worry about it.

Or like saying that giving birth is only a few hours of labor compared to
nine months of gestation, so we needn't worry about it.

The randomly chosen simulations do not reflect the dynamic that you
mention, so the quoted five percent monotonicity failure rate of IRV
is, as you say, very misleading.

Forest