[EM] questions about IIAC & ICC

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 14:04:03 PST 2002

Markus and Mike:

Oh, and by the "Random Candidate" and "Random Dictatorship," I guess you are
referring to something like Florida's voting procedure. I that about it?

As to Mike's question, if I had to venture a guess as to why Arrow didn't
mention that no method can satisfy the Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives
criterion and disallow cyclic outcomes, perhaps that is because he did not know
that at the time. Saari's new book, _Decisions and Elections_, contains many
new results along those lines.

Steve Barney

> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:05:49 +0100
> From: Markus Schulze <markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de>
> To: election-methods-list at eskimo.com
> Subject: Re: [EM] questions about IIAC & ICC
>
> Dear Mike,
>
> you wrote (11 Jan 2002):
>
> > But if IIAC, as Arrow intended it, isn't met by any method,
> > then why wouldn't he mention that? If nothing meets IIAC,
> > then there'd be no point in listing those other criteria,
> > the ones in his impossibility theorem. If nothing meets IIAC,
> > then why bother saying that nothing meets all the criteria
> > in some list that includes IIAC? I really don't know of a
> > method that meets that particular IIAC, and so I was just
> > asking. If you know of one, tell me of it.
>
> I have already mentioned in one of my last mails that there
> are election methods that meet IIAC. I wrote (9 Jan 2002):
>
> > Random Candidate meets "Independence from Irrelevant
> > Alternatives" and violates "Independence from Clones".
> > Tideman's Ranked Pairs method meets "Independence from Clones"
> > and violates "Independence from Irrelevant Alternatives".
>
> Also Random Dictatorship meets IIAC. So there are election
> methods that meet IIAC.
[...
> Markus Schulze

=====
"Democracy"?:
	http://www1.umn.edu/irp/images/postcardAd2.jpg
AR-NewsWI, a news service for Wisconsin animal advocates: