[EM] Borda count in practice

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 14:00:13 PST 2002

Forest:

My understanding was that this was the way the original Borda Count procedure
treated truncated ballots; that is, the first choice(s) always receives the
same number of points, regardless of the whether the ballot is truncated or
not, while the unmarked are given the same points (if any) which any last
ranked candidate would get on a complete ballot. This is only a matter of fact.
I am not saying that this treatment is better than what Saari and others
suggest.

Regards,
Steve Barney

--- In election-methods-list at y..., Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...> wrote:
> If your interpretation of the Slovenia election law is correct, so that
> truncations receive zero, and the ranked choices receive the same points
> that they would have received on a ballot without truncations, then
> Slovenia's version of Borda is a kind of hybrid of Borda and Approval,
> hence better than standard Borda.

=====
"Democracy"?:
	http://www1.umn.edu/irp/images/postcardAd2.jpg
AR-NewsWI, a news service for Wisconsin animal advocates: