[EM] Interesting use of Borda count

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Jan 5 11:00:53 PST 2002

Forest Simmons wrote:

> Bart,
>
> this discussion reminds me of the time Tom Ruen was toying with the idea
> of modifying Approval by requiring all of the approved candidates on one
> ballot to share one vote equally, i.e. if you approve three candidates
> they each get one third of your vote, a kind of constrained cumulative
> voting where all of the non-zero votes on your ballot have equal value.

This may actually be the most practical form of cumulative voting.  I
think in most cases, the best strategy is usually to divide one's vote
equally anyway (otherwise, the candidate who gets fewer votes will
probably lose & his votes wasted, so that his voters would have been
better off concentrating their votes on the remaining candidates).

In the relatively rare situations that could benefit from unequal
voting, such as two factions each with their own candidate but sharing a
third, you can overcome this restriction using the same cooperative or
stochastic strategies.  So each group gives 2/3 of its voting power to
its dedicated candidate, and the remaining 1/3 to the shared candidate
(or let individual voters roll the dice to make the choice).

The fact that this strategy requires a conscious effort would serve to
keep voters from blindly assiging points without regard to consequences,
or based on sentiment, etc.

Bart