[EM] CC incompatible with Participation & Consistency

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 19 16:13:48 PST 2002

Say that before you vote, there's no BeatsAll winner, and the
circular tiebreaker picks X as the winner.

Then you & a few others add your ballots, and you all vote X over Y,
and Y over Z.

But it happens that, before you voted, Y's only defeat was by Z,
and Y lost to Z by a 1-vote margin.

So now you've made Y beat Z and become the BeatsAll winner.

That shows CC's incompatibility with Participation.

Say we specify that all of the new voters voted X in 1st place.
Now the original voters elected X, and the new voters would elect X,
but, when combined, they elect Y.

So CC is also incompatible with Consistency.

I should add that no other pair-comparison is close enough for
the new voters to affect it.

Mike Ossipoff