[EM] The wonders of filters and delete keys

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 31 17:39:01 PST 2002

Forest Simmons said:
> Note that with a 50% Approval cutoff (and no other limitation on the
> number of candidates surviving to the runoff) Approval wouldn't be such
> a bad filter after all.  If Larry, Curly, and Moe can muster 50%
> Approval, that means that more voters want them to be in the runoff than
> not.
<Snip>
> If there is only one candidate who receives majority consent for
> appearing in the finals, then that candidate automatically wins the
> runoff.
>
> If it is the majority will in every case that the candidate does not
> survive to the finals, then more candidates will have to be recruited,
> or (alternatively) the candidate that came the closest to being approved
> for the finals will take the seat.

The first idea (new candidates) may be easier to sell than the second.
The first is essentially "None of the above".  That idea has support in
some quarters.

Skipping the second round when nobody gets a majority and electing the
front-runner seems somewhat backwards, if we're also requiring a second
round when multiple candidates get majorities.  It basically says "If the
voters identify several strong candidates we need to scrutinize them more.
 If the voters don't identify any majority candidates then we just go with
whomever they put in first place."

To amalgamate this with another idea of Forest's, maybe the way to go is:

1)  Hold a primary with Approval.  The most approved candidate wins IF he
gets a majority.

2)  Otherwise, advance either the top N candidates, or those who meet a
threshold of X%, or whatever.  In the second round, use Approval again,
and add approval tallies from the two rounds to determine the final
winner.

This respects the preferences of the majority if one exists.  Otherwise,
it subjects the strongest candidates to a second round of scrutiny.  Also,
it discourages people from sending Larry, Curly, and Moe into the finals
by retaining the initial approval given to the stooges, making it more
likely that their plan might backfire.

Alex

----