[EM] 12/30/02 - Alex, Irving still holds the Trump Card:

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 30 10:49:06 PST 2002

Alex wrote:

>As to Adam's point that IRV, Approval, and Condorcet all give the same
>result in the case of 2 strong front-runners:
>
>Say we have
>
>40% Left>Center>Right
>11% Center>Left>Right
>  9% Center>Right>Left
>40% Right>Center>Left
>
>IRV selects Left, Condorcet selects Center, and Approval can select any of
>the above depending on the choices of the voters, although Right is the
>least likely outcome.

Absolutely, I agree.  My response was sort of overlooking the "weak center"
example that is popular on this list.  I was thinking along the lines of a
more trivial case, such as

10% Libertarian>Republican
39% Republican
37% Democrat
14% Green>Democrat

Assuming reasonably rational voters, approval, Condorcet, IRV, top two
runoff, Bucklin, MCA, cardinal rankings, et cetera... will all give the
same result.  Only Borda and Plurality do not, for they still encourage
swapping your favorite with your second place.

I agree that your example (the standard list example) reveals differences,
and that these differences favor approval, Condorcet, Bucklin, MCA, and
cardinal rankings over IRV and top two runoff.  It seems from previous
posts that Donald and other IRV backers do not really see a distinction
between the left, center, right example and the one I just gave.  In their
minds, the center candidate is weak, just like the Green and Libertarian
candidates I show above.  The fact that your center candidate is preferred
by a majority over every other candidate just doesn't strike them as
significant.

-Adam

----