[EM] 12/22/02 - Markus Schulze Wrote and Wrote again:

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 23 16:16:32 PST 2002

James Gilmour wrote:

> >  What do you think of my last comment, about
> > the advantages of PAV over STV?
>
>I searched the archive but could not find an explanation of PAV.  I found
>lots of
>comments, but could not find the explanation or definition.

Here's the initial thread about it:

and here's some commentary I had before:

> > - voting in PAV is unquestionably easier than STV.
>
> From the voter's point of view, what could be easier than "1, 2, 3, ...."?

Yes, yes, no, yes... this is what voters are used to doing in city council
elections, currently.

> >  In large district STV
> > elections in Australia, 95% of the voters vote for pre-determined party
> > orders, which basically makes STV degenerate into closed party list.
>
>This is not so much an effect of "large" districts, but rather an effect
>of the
>compulsory vote and the desire of the political parties to maximise their
>control
>over their supporters.

Please elaborate - don't you see it as a problem that the vast majority of
Australian voters essentially vote in a closed party list style?  What
would you change to solve this problem?

-Adam

----