[EM] 12/22/02 - Markus Schulze Wrote and Wrote again:

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 23 00:47:05 PST 2002

Markus Schulze wrote:

>The aim of proportional representation is to minimize the number of wasted
>votes. However, proportionality is not the only criterion for a good multi-
>winner method. I prefer PR-STV to PR-PL because STV makes it possible for
>independent candidates to get elected. I consider this aspect important
>because I believe that the power of the party machines depends mainly on
>the chances of the candidates to get elected without the support or even
>against the will of their party.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the desire to limit the influence
political parties have over their candidates, it seems to me that this is
mostly a property of CLOSED party list PR.  In open list PR, candidates
don't have to play nice to move up the list, since the voters decide which
candidates on the list get elected.  Also, in theory one could run as an
independent in list PR, although it's unlikely that a single candidate
would break the quota.  So I do see the benefits of STV.  I see PAV as even
better, though - especially if there aren't many seats to allocate.

-Adam

----