[EM] Best method in use?

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Tue Dec 17 22:06:49 PST 2002

>I though in Finland, the proportional level of
>each party was determined by the average of
>supports received by each candidate from the same
>party....
>Could somebody put some light on this?

The sum of the votes for the candidates of a party is counted for the
party. The seats are allocated to the parties according to d'Hondt's rule.
Each party's seats are filled by the top vote-getters of that party.

In d'Hondt's method, you can think that you allocate seats one by one,
giving the seat to the party that has the highest average number of votes
per seat at each round. You can think of that as a transfer, the votes are
transferred to the top vote-getters, or if some of them poll more than
enough, to lower candidates.

Olli Salmi

----