[EM] Optimal methods for multimember elections

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 13 09:21:08 PST 2002

Douglas Greene said:
> A local government here in NY is debating moving from at large elections
> to district based elections.  I'm in touch with one of the parties
> pushing for districting.

Are they currently using at large plurality (with n seats, every voter can
vote for n candidates)?  If so, then the desire for districting is
understandable.  With districts a minority faction can at least hope to
get some representation, but with at large plurality the largest group
(not necessarily a majority, even) can get all of the seats.

This is not to endorse districting, simply to observe that maybe they need
a better at large method.

Alex

----