[EM] 1-person-1-vote has been abandoned?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Dec 12 14:43:42 PST 2002

My STRONG opinion is that 1P1V is an important standard to enforce, and
that troublemakers try to misuse it to be destructive.

The basic standard properly is that each voter gets the SAME opportunity
to take part in an election as every other voter.
      Having a vacation address, etc., must not earn you an extra chance.
      Given the same selection of choices, as required, does not violate
1P1V for a voter who opts for a simpler or more complex choice among those
offered.
      That a method may allow voters to vote for more than one candidate,
as Approval does, is acceptable - provided each voter has the same
opportunity.
      One condition I would apply to methods - a method too complex for
many voters to understand should properly be rejected for this defect.

This rule clearly accepts Plurality, Approval, and Condorcet.  IRV might
be open to debate for the possibility of strategic voting - and that
perhaps being considered to be too hard to understand.  Some of the more
complex methods described on EM and elsewhere certainly deserve rejection
- if the voters have trouble understanding how they work, they do not belong.

Dave Ketchum

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----