[EM] CPW = CW in the 3 by 1 by 1 case.

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Dec 12 09:30:27 PST 2002

My previous argument can be extended to the case of N candidates, 1 seat,
and 1 dimensional issue space:

Let the letter X represent the candidate that the voter median is nearest
to on the (one dimensional) issue spectrum.

This "Voter Median Candidate,"  X,  is the Condorcet Winner.

To show that X is also the rational Candidate Proxy Winner we need two
facts:

Fact 1.  There exists a stable equilibrium configuration of Election
Completion Approval ballots.

Fact 2.  Any configuration in which X is not the winner is unstable.

An example of a stable equilibrium is the one in which all proxies approve
down to and including X.  No subset of proxies acting together can improve
the outcome for any part of the subset without making it worse for another
part of the subset.

And in any configuration for which some candidate Y other than X is the
Candidate Proxy Approval Winner, there is a subset of candidates
with a majority of the proxy votes, that can strictly improve the outcome
of each member of the subset by approving down to and including X.

This subset consists of X and all candidates that are not on the Y side of
X.

[Since all candidates (including Y) on the Y side of X are ranked strictly
below X within this majority, X is the only candidate with majority
approval, which makes X win, which, in turn, is a strict improvement for
every member of this majority.]

Since all proxies know exactly how many votes each of the other proxies
control, and they know their "reality check" preference orders, the winner
under rational play is the one and only stable equilibrium winner X.

That concludes the proof (except for the negligible case in which the
voter median position is exactly half way between two candidate
positions).

The only potential for manipulation is a candidate lying on the reality
check in an attempt to appear nearer to the voter median.  But this seems
like an extremely risky move that would most likely backfire.

Now let's think about multiwinner PR elections with a one dimensional
issue space.

It's obvious in the case of 2 winners that the Voter Median Candidate
should be replaced by the two Voter Quartile Candidates, i.e. the
candidates nearest the 1st and 3rd quartile voter positions on the issue
spectrum.

In the the case of three winners, the winners should be the candidates
closest to the first, third, and fifth sextile voter positions.

In general (for single issue PR elections with K seats to be filled) the
candidates nearest the odd numbered "(2*K)_tile" voter positions should
fill the seats.

Which Election Completion Procedures have this ideal as the one and only
stable outcome?

An answer to that question would complete the N candidate, K seat, 1
dimensional issue space cases, and allow us to start working on the 2
dimensional issue space cases.

PAV might work, but would only be practical for small to medium K.

Another possibility is Repeated Lone Mark Balloting [until each of K
candidates has at least 1/(K+1) of the Election Completion Procedure
votes].

Forest

----