[EM] Approval and "1 person/1 vote"

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 9 11:40:54 PST 2002

Stephane Rouillon wrote:

> > *** You can only vote at most once for the winning candidate. ***
>
>A good thing and this is why I prefer ranking methods to grading methods.

You can use graded ballots in ranking methods, too.  Forest advocates this
on the grounds that people are familiar with it and it prevents the
confusion about whether 1 is the lowest or the highest ranking.

>Yet, 1P1V should be ***You can only vote at most once for any candidate at any
>time*** with the generalization of splitting your vote in fractions that
>sum up
>to one.

That sort of strikes me as a perversion of the phrase for the benefit of
IRV.  Or perhaps, for the denigration of Approval.  I mean, who cares (for
the purposes of the spirit of 1P1V) how the electoral system cranks through
all the names on a ranked ballot or on a list of approved candidates?  All
that matters is that, at the end of the election, I don't have a way of
making my vote more powerful than someone else's.

How about this phrasing:

***A voter can have at most one vote that contributes to the election of a
candidate.***

By the way I wrote it, IRV, plurality, and Approval clearly pass, and Borda
clearly fails.  Condorcet is a funny case because there are many (n
squared, minus n, divided by two) contests going on at once, but clearly
1P1V is maintained in each one.

-Adam

----