[EM] Approval vs Plurality?

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 4 22:19:20 PST 2002

MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote :

> Steph--
>
> You wrote:
>
> We all know Approval is better than plurality (FPTP).
>
> I reply:
>
> But I wrote those postings because you'd said that Approval violates
> 1-person-1-vote, giving voters unequal amounts of power. You probably
> don't believe that Plurality violates 1-person-1-vote, and so I showed
> that actually Plurality gives more disparate voting power than
> Approval does.

I see no contradiction. My logic is:
Plurality has huge vote-splitting problems that a typical election
encounters
around 1/3 of the time (without taking the human tactical interest of
expected
losers for enhancing that situation so they obtain a better chance of
winning).
Approval does not have vote-splitting issues.
Approval violates "1-person-1-vote" according to my standards.
It gives a slight advantage to voters who would put their approval cut-off
splitting candidates in two equal groups. It artificially disfavours extreme

candidates.
But vote-splitting is by far a greater problem. So Approval is a lot better
than FPTP even if the latter does not violate "1-person-1-vote".
End of my logic.

Steph.

----