[EM] Sports and 'The Condorcet Mindset'

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Dec 2 15:10:43 PST 2002

Adam Tarr said:
> Is there a way to quantify this?  Probably not a way that everyone could
>  agree on.  But how about this example:
>
> 60% A
> 39% B
> 1% C
>
> All the voters assign zero utility to the other candidates.  In just
> about  every voting system except Borda (including IRV), The A voters
> are  guaranteed to win.  In Borda, the B voters can win my voting BCA.

Only if the A voters vote ABC.  If the A voters are split evenly between
ABC and ACB then A wins (120 votes for A, 78+30 votes for B, and the 1 is
irrelevant).  Still, the general point is well-taken:  In an election
where the appropriate outcome should be obvious, the Borda result is
uncertain unless we know everybody's full strategy.

Alex

----