[EM] Kemeny's Rule/Condorcet's Method

barnes99 barnes99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Thu Dec 19 17:48:32 PST 2002

Forest:

What's that you say?: "this minimization is an NP complete problem." No
capisci. Let me ask again, is there any freeware available which will do
Kemeny Rule tallies?

SB

--- In election-methods-list at yahoogroups.com, Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...>
wrote:
> As I understand it, Kemeny's Rule amounts to minimizing a certain metric
> on rankings, and that this minimization is an NP complete problem, making
> it intractable for elections with more than four or five voters when there
> are as few as twenty candidates.
>
> Forest
>
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, barnes99 wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know who uses Kemeny's Rule, and if there is any freeware
avaible
> > which will handle that method? I think I can figure out a 3 candidate KR
> > outcome with a matrix, but not any more than that.
> >
> > BTW, according a very good book I am now reading:
> >
> > "Condorcet's maximal agreement method is identical with Kemeny's method,
> > albeit the terminology differs slightly."
> > --_Voting Paradoxes and How to Deal with Them_, by Hannu Nurmi, pg 18.
> >

> > SB
> >
> > Steve Barney

Steve Barney

Richard M. Hare, 1919 - 2002, In Memoriam: <http://www.petersingerlinks.com/hare.htm>.

Did you know there is an web site where, if you click on a button, the advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in places where there is a lot of starvation? See:
<http://www.thehungersite.com>.

----