[EM] Kinds of majority?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 00:00:50 PST 2002

Blake Cretney a écrit :

>Majority always means more than half, but the question is, more than
>half of what? More than half of the people casting a ballot, more than
>half of those expressing a preference between the candidates being
>compared, or more than half of the electorate? I choose the second one,

That's absurd. An electoral majority means a majority of the voters.
A majority is important because it's a group big enough to control
the outcome. That's why it's regrettable when margins fails even
such a powerful group of voters. wv at least won't require defensive
reversal by a majority as described in the definitions of the
defensive strategy criteria.

And even if you speak of a majority of those registered, or of the
population, using that definition in the defensive strategy criteria,
wv still passes and margins still fails.

Mike Ossipoff