[EM] Change in definition of defensive strategy

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Aug 30 21:51:07 PDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:28:45 +0000 MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Because I've let some committments get way out of hand, I haven't
> had a chance to check or write to EM for a few days. Right after I
> posted my most recent message, it occurred to me that defensive strategy
> needed to be defined slightly differently from the way that I'd written
> it in that posting.
>
> Though I'm not changing my definitions of majority rule and
> offensive stratety, I'm changing my definition of defensive strategy
> as follows: Substitute "majority wishes" for "majority rule".
> Here's how I define majority wishes:
>
> Electing candidate Y would violate majority wishes if another candidate
> is preferred to him by a majority of all the voters, and that
> majority pairwise preference isn't the smallest majority pairwise
> preference in a cycle of majority pairwise preferences.
>
> A majority pairwise preference is an instance of a majority of the
> voters preferring one candidate to another.
>
> The strength of a majority pairwise for X over Y is measured by
> the number of people who prefer X to Y.

Seems like that sentence is missing something:
      Suppose 10 people prefer X to Y.
      Shouldn't strength then be affected according to whether 5 or 55
prefer Y to X?

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----