[EM] D'Hondt without lists

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Aug 16 15:23:27 PDT 2002

The d'Hondt rule is implicit in both Proportional Approval Voting (PAV)
and Sequential PAV.

This latter method is similar to what you refer to as the Swedish method
below, except Approval ballots are used instead of ranked preference
ballots:

1. In the first round the candidate C1 with the greatest approval sum is
transferred to the winners' circle.

2. In the second round the ballots that approved C1 are given a weight of
one half.  Among the remaining candidates the one with the greatest
weighted approval sum is added to the winners' circle.

3. In each subsequent round the weight applied to each ballot is the
reciprocal of one more than the number of that ballot's approved
candidates that are already in the winners' circle.

Ordinary (i.e. non-sequential PAV) is a little harder to describe, but it
is easy to find by searching for PAV in the EM archives.

Forest

----